As a preventive measure of COVID-19, through Executive Decree No. 500 of March 19, 2020, the closing of commercial establishments and natural or legal person companies was ordered for 30 days from 11:59 p.m. March 20, 2020 in Panama, except those dedicated to the following activities:
1. The entire chain of production, distribution, marketing and sale of food, medicines and hygiene products, safety equipment, construction materials, veterinary and agricultural supplies, companies for the maintenance, operation and distribution of medical equipment, packaging manufacturers and supplies from all the sectors listed above, printers and laundries.
2. Everything related to maritime, land and air transportation, logistics and the Panama Canal.
3. Everything related to private security.
4. Lawyers to defend people detained during the curfew period.
5. Restaurants only for home delivery or take away orders.
6. Everything related to banking, finance, cooperatives, insurance and other financial services.
7. Companies that provide public services: communications and transportation; call centers; gas stations and their supply chains; light and electric energy and its transmission; energy distribution and operation; cleaning; provisioning and distribution of water to the population; toilets; hospitals; private clinics; veterinary clinics; funeral homes; cremation rooms; cemeteries.
8. Construction industry including manufacturing, distribution and dispatch of concrete, cement and its derivatives, quarries.
9. Agricultural industry including agricultural work and the agricultural industry and its food and beverage distribution centers.
10. Medical-hospital equipment, medications, vaccines, and any other public health items and supplies, including their manufacture, distribution, and maintenance.
The closure of the perimeter of the facilities of the mining company Panama Copper was also ordered.
And it was established that the violation of this executive decree will be sanctioned with fines of up to the sum of US $ 100,000.00, without prejudice to other corresponding criminal and/or civil penalties.
The subcategory of Permanent Resident as Qualified Investor has been created in the Republic of Panama within the immigration category of Permanent Resident for Economic Reasons. This subcategory was created by Executive Decree No. 722 of October 15, 2020 promulgated through Official Digital Gazette No. 29136 of October 16, 2020, the date of its entry […]
Through Law 159 of August 31, 2020, the Special Regime for the Establishment and Operation of Multinational Companies for the Provision of Services Related to Manufacturing (EMMA), was created. Its purpose is to attract and promote investments in production processes and the generation of jobs and technology transfer, as well as to make Panama more […]
Today, August 3, 2020, Law 157 of the same date, establishing temporary employment protection measures for companies affected by COVID-19, was promulgated. The main aspects of this law are the following: This law applies to companies that closed their operations, totally or partially, from the beginning of the state of national emergency due to COVID-19 […]
On July 2, 2020, Executive Decree No. 100 of July 1, 2020 entered into force in Panama, extending the temporary suspension of the effects of employment contracts and dictating other provisions. Companies whose restart of operations has not been authorized The temporary suspension of the effects of the employment contracts of companies whose restart of […]