As a preventive measure of COVID-19, through Executive Decree No. 500 of March 19, 2020, the closing of commercial establishments and natural or legal person companies was ordered for 30 days from 11:59 p.m. March 20, 2020 in Panama, except those dedicated to the following activities:
1. The entire chain of production, distribution, marketing and sale of food, medicines and hygiene products, safety equipment, construction materials, veterinary and agricultural supplies, companies for the maintenance, operation and distribution of medical equipment, packaging manufacturers and supplies from all the sectors listed above, printers and laundries.
2. Everything related to maritime, land and air transportation, logistics and the Panama Canal.
3. Everything related to private security.
4. Lawyers to defend people detained during the curfew period.
5. Restaurants only for home delivery or take away orders.
6. Everything related to banking, finance, cooperatives, insurance and other financial services.
7. Companies that provide public services: communications and transportation; call centers; gas stations and their supply chains; light and electric energy and its transmission; energy distribution and operation; cleaning; provisioning and distribution of water to the population; toilets; hospitals; private clinics; veterinary clinics; funeral homes; cremation rooms; cemeteries.
8. Construction industry including manufacturing, distribution and dispatch of concrete, cement and its derivatives, quarries.
9. Agricultural industry including agricultural work and the agricultural industry and its food and beverage distribution centers.
10. Medical-hospital equipment, medications, vaccines, and any other public health items and supplies, including their manufacture, distribution, and maintenance.
The closure of the perimeter of the facilities of the mining company Panama Copper was also ordered.
And it was established that the violation of this executive decree will be sanctioned with fines of up to the sum of US $ 100,000.00, without prejudice to other corresponding criminal and/or civil penalties.
Country-wide curfew in Panama due to COVID-19 By means of Executive Decree No. 507 of March 24, 2020, a country-wide curfew was imposed in Panama starting on March 25, 2020 at 5:01 a.m., while the COVID-19 State of National Emergency lasts. The following institutions, persons, activities and companies are exempted from the above: 1. Members […]
Suspension of employment contracts due to COVID-19 As of March 21, 2020, Executive Decree No. 81 of March 20, 2020 came into force and effect in Panama, which, in relation to employer-employee relations, it establishes, in summary, the following: 1. For the application of Numeral 8 of Article 199 of the Labor Code, the declaration […]
Business shut-down due to COVID-19 and exceptions As a preventive measure of COVID-19, through Executive Decree No. 500 of March 19, 2020, the closing of commercial establishments and natural or legal person companies was ordered for 30 days from 11:59 p.m. March 20, 2020 in Panama, except those dedicated to the following activities: 1. The […]